RE: SM

> From:	Joe Kaczmarek [SMTP:joe@getq.com]
>
> compliant browsers and I will only need to code pages once (without
> worry of if I'm on a 72dpi monitored Macintosh or a 96dpi monitored PC)

	If you need to worry about the resolution, you should
	be using PDF, not HTML, or restricting yourself to fully
	CSS compliant browsers.

> and everybody and everydevice will understand that page, but until then,
> for right now I need to know that Netscape 3 does not display ™ or
> ™ as "TM" but that it will display ™ as "TM".

	[DJW:] You have two reasonable++ choices here, use ™ and rely
	on the fact that it is a mnemonic for the TM glyph, or
	use the letters TM.  NB, I am pretty sure that ™
	will not work on Netscape 3 on any platform except
	Microsoft Windows, as this hack is based on the Windows
	CP 1252 character encoding.

	If SM is important to you, you should spell it out, as
	it is not a Windows 1252 character, so will only work
	on Unicode browsers, or browsers with broken implementations
	of font changing (i.e. they don't take notice of the font's
	encoding); browsers with no font support (text only, braille,
	WML?) will misrepresent the character in this case.

	[DJW:]  Unreasonable choices include using a GIF with TM as the
	alt text.