Re: ANNOUNCE: XHTML mailing list at eGroups

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> At 09:46 AM 5/3/00 -0400, Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor wrote:
> >On Wed, 3 May 2000, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
> >
> >> The list is based at eGroups:
> >> http://www.egroups.com/group/XHTML-L
> >
> >I assume this list is not affilliated with the W3C?
>
> No, it's not - neither am I, in fact.
>
> I hope that it will be a useful forum somewhat along the lines of XML-Dev
> and XML-L, which provide centers for the XML community but aren't
> W3C-affiliated.

Hmm... if that's the motivation, I hope you'll reconsider.

In retrospect, I think it's quite unfortunate that xml-dev is
not hosted by W3C; there's simple practical matters like
the stability of the archives and the operational reliability
of delivery, which W3C is responsible to provide,
while ic.ac.uk did it on a sort of volunteer basis
and oasis.org is having trouble doing at all.

But there's a more substantive issue of loyalty and a sense of
community. Folks see xml-dev as somehow "outside" of W3C
just because the address doesn't end in @w3.org. To me,
xml-dev (comp.text.xml and ...) are essential parts of the
Web Community and the W3C process. I didn't expect
folks to see it as so separate from W3C just because
of the domain name.

So if you're creating XHTML-L to allow the XML community
to have discussions separate from the Web community,
I think that's counterproductive and I hope you'll
reconsider.