Re: Device upload for all platforms -- the official HTML WG posi tion

James P. Salsman <bovik@best.com> wrote:

> But I do agree with everyone who says that RFC-1867-style file
> uploads could be device uploads using the ACCEPT attribute, if
> you're willing to give up a default device selection.

For default device selection, how about the VALUE attribute? It's
already used for default filenames (although not generally
supported like that for Obvious Security Reasons, and questionable
anyway since different OSs have different file naming rules).
Perhaps extending it to have special values for default devices
would be fairly harmless.

Or just use a filename like '/dev/microphone' or something, eh,
Unix fans?

> But if it were such a good idea, wouldn't it have been done?

I fear you overestimate the perspicacity of browser writers,
Sir!

Regardless of what W3C says, they can still do what the heck the
like, as you point out -

> The problem is, there are no browsers that do anything like
> that -- the big-two wintel browsers interpret ACCEPT as a
> filename pattern!

I wasn't aware they took any notice of it at all. :-(

I agree that it would be a Good Thing if HTML mentioned that
uploading direct from a device is desirable and hey you crazy
browserguys might like to allow it where possible. But the
proposal in your NOTE seems overly complicated to me, at least.

Just my personal opinion, like.

--
Andrew Clover
Technical Support