RE: html idea

> From:	James Stapleton [SMTP:stapleton@mps.ohio-state.edu]
>
> I was wondering, could a tag be added to clear ALL text formatting
> (basically

	[DJW:]  I'm not a member either, but the answer is
	obviously "No"!

> null all tag bits) so that all text afterwards is not marked up by tags
> (unless
> a tag is put after the no-format tag)

	[DJW:]  I think you have been misled by the broken
	parsing in some browsers.  There are no tag bits.
	HTML elements are strictly nested (although some, but
	not all, allow the closing tag to be inferred by a
	context that is not allowed within the element.

	This type of parsing is often called "tag soup" because
	the browser applies semantics to tags as it sees them,
	rather than viewing the document as nested structures.

	is does not turn on a b bit then an i bit, process some
	text, turn off the b bit then turn off the i bit.

	Instead, it is simply illegal, and a browser attempting
	error recovery could infer </i> before the </b> and
	delete the </i> just as much as using the tag soup
	tactic.

	Style sheets require proper nesting for correct behaviour
	and XHTML also requires valid structure.