Re: OBJECT (was Re: So, what's left?)

>From: Jonny Axelsson <jonny@metastasis.net>
>Date: Mon, Jan 31, 2000, 1:56 PM
>
> At 11:44 31.01.00 -0800, Murray Altheim wrote:

<snip>

>>I don't see any reason to believe anything with an underspecified,
>>complex interaction of contextually variant attributes could be
>>anything but difficult to implement. The fact that two years have
>>passed and nobody has been able to implement it fully should tell
>
> It is an indication, but the argument on its own that argument would imply
> that CSS is unimplementable, just because Netscape never bothered to try
> until Microsoft did. Mozilla and Opera implementors may tell if OBJECT is a
> pain to implement or not, as both Opera 4 and Mozilla 5 supposedly will
> implement OBJECT.

It is my understanding that iCab [1] currently supports OBJECT [2], and, in
addition to the implementations noted above, MacIE5 also has OBJECT support
(as part of full HTML4 support) [3].

By my count that is four independent products/teams, with one shipping now
(iCab), and another to be shipping within 1.5 months [4], and two more
supposedly sometime this year.

Tantek

[1] http://www.icab.de/
[2] http://www.icab.de/test.html