RE: Frames and People With Napoleanic Issues >>

At 03:12p +0000 01/18/00, Roy.Gardiner@natwest.com wrote:
>Some sites have complicated parts, largely static (e.g. the navigation
>bars). It drives me nuts when they slowly rebuild the whole page every time
>because they don't use frames,

Be careful to not confuse overkill design with non-framed pages.
Besides, it takes a lot longer to download a page filled with
JavaScript than it does to download a page with an integral
navigation panel. My own navigation panels are all text, with a
single tiny gif in their "header" (which gets cached anyway).

>and if they waste too much of my time I
>leave. Is there another way or ways of keeping part of the page unrefreshed
>that does not use frames? If not, what's wrong with frames? We are saving
>our readers' time.

That depends. My favorite browser is Lynx, and when I hit frames, it
slows me down! It is additional steps I'm forced to go through to
reach the content. Non-framed pages get me to the data immediately,
saving me time (and saving time is one of the reasons I use Lynx --
it loads pages an order of magnitude faster than GUI browsers).

My moderation-tempered view: If you must use frames, use them only on
a *portion* of your site -- do NOT frame the entire site. And on the
framed page(s), provide complete non-framed content and functionality
for UAs that do not display frames (or have them disabled by personal
preference).

-Walter