Re: Suggestion for new tag: <EOP> "End Of Page" (or some other appropriate name)

At 02:44 PM 10/25/99 -0400, { lordsnow } wrote:
>The thing is, I make webpages in two different languages - english and
>dutch. And it's a bother to split the two different language verions
>of a page into two files. My suggestion is this:
>
>have an <EOP> which would mark a point in the document beyond which
>the browser will NOT scroll. This would make having several different
>language texts in one file possible, and would make authoring and
>maintaining multi-language pages a lot easier. And more logical.

If you don't want a user to have both languages in front of him, and
want to maintain your website in a different file structure then the site
(can make a lot of sense), you should use
authoring software that allows you to define several HTML documents in one
file
and then the software processes them to separate files according to
the author's marking.

Softawre like that could be SGML/XML based, so you might be using custom tags
to mark different pages in one file.

But I can't see why you'd like to serve this file on the web
(think of all the waisted download time of the non-scorlable portion)

Nir.

Nir Dagan
Assistant Professor of Economics
Brown University