Re: Doctypes, Declarations, and HTML Versions

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, John Whelan wrote:

> Russell O'Connor laments
>
> > But for some reason SGML is just to difficult to parse.  I don't see why
> > James Clark can write an SGML parser and give it away, but large companies
> > with hundreds of employees can't manage.
>
> XML, unlike SGML, can be parsed without a DTD, which seems like the
> major selling point of XHTML; XML browsers can be forward-compatible
> without fetching a separate file to tell them whether they've just
> passed a start tag or a stand-alone.

Of course SGML has been changed.  Now SGML documents don't require
declarations.

And as if fetching a file is that big a deal anyway.

       <http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/~roconnor/>
``And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message''
-- Anindita Dutta, ``The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy''