Re: Include pieces of code in an HTML file

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, John Whelan wrote:

> As for inventing a new <include> element:
>
> > Similarly, IFRAME is not supported but a
> > lot of browsers, and you cannot rely on pages that are visible
> > correctly only if you have IE5 ;-)
>
> Er, I don't follow the logic here; you want to invent a new element that
> is currently supported *nowhere* because the existing elements that
> serve the same purpose are not widely enough supported?!

The amazing thing is that after all these years, tag-featurism still will
not die.  "What browsers support" has stultified any notion of RTFM, to
the extent that the first, last and only reaction to some perceived lack
of functionality is the instinctive urge to invent yet another tag.

What about the functionality that browsers *could* support if only they
got a Round Tuit?

> It seems like a much wiser course of action would be to lobby for a
> modification of <object type="text/html"> to suit your needs.

How about lobbying for support for entity declarations?

Nah, these lovely wowsers never heard of 'em.

This, supposedly, is "advanced technology".

Arjun