Re: uppercase vs. lower case

On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, Dan wrote:
> All my programms handles case insensitivity and it is very simple to
> do it.
> So why not allow it?

The problem here is that the character set of XML is ISO 10646, not ASCII
or an ISO 8859 variant. While this has been true also of HTML, the
difference is that in HTML all markup uses only ASCII characters; in XML
the names of elements etc. may contain anything falling into one of the
appropriate Unicode character classes.  Any rules for case conversion (and
equivalent operations for scripts which do not have case in the same
sense) are therefore necessarily rather complicated - perhaps not the sort
of thing we want to impose on very small systems.  Worse, in order to work
well, such rules would need to updated whenever the character set is
extended.

Tim Bagot