RE: The <link> element

Ian Hickson [mailto:py8ieh@bath.ac.uk] wrote:
>On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Nicolas Lesbats wrote:
>> [HTML]	<link rel="next" href="next.html" title="Title of Next">
>> [CSS2]	head { display: block } /* display the document head */
>> 	link:before { content: attr(title) } /* display the 'title' */
>>
>> *Will* a *conformant* browser render the expected rendering ?
>
>Yes.

Actually, not necessarily, unless you're referring to XHTML.  HTML
processors may treat BODY as the root of rendered content, and HEAD content
may be unrenderable.  Read the caveats in CSS2 carefully.

>> In particular, will the generated content really be a link ?
>
>Good question. I suppose that logically it should be.

Perhaps, but it won't be just based on the stylesheet - CSS cannot set up
hyperlinks.  This semantic would have to be cooked in the UA.

Except, of course, you could do this in stylesheets (in a way) with actions
or behaviors, but they aren't in a Recommended version of CSS yet.

-Chris Wilson