Re: 404 errors, Search Engines, and a new meta-tag

At 6:33a -0700 07/09/99, Ray Benjamin wrote:
>Wouldn't it be nice if there was a good way for search engines to prune
>entries that returned 404 errors  without having to depend
>on spiders?

Wouldn't it be nice if webmasters took steps to prevent their sites
from generating 404s in the first place?

When I change a path on my site, I put a "Page Moved" link in its place
for several months, and then I use my server's "ErrorDocument" to send
a page which lists old and new URLs.

Examples:

http://www.natural-innovations.com/boo/ds.html

http://www.natural-innovations.com/boo/xxxxx.html