Please Advice !!

Hello Everybody,
    I'm a user of HTML and CGI & Perl scripts.I'm kind of new to VB, ASP
stuff.My question is which is the ideal scripting Language for Applications
like DatawareHousing, Datamining. I've heard lot about XML, read study
material on the web.Its just tags, tags and tags..
Is that an ideal scripting Lang. for my application.
I thank you in advance for the suggestions.Please Advice !!

Sincerely
Thx,
Loki