Re: XHTML and CASE-SENSITIVITY (half off-topic)

-----Original Message-----
From: Inanis Brooke <alatus@earthlink.net>
To: www-html <www-html@w3.org>
Date: Saturday, February 27, 1999 6:32 PM
Subject: Re: XHTML and CASE-SENSITIVITY (half off-topic)

>|I'm not talking about XML in general, as that is *expected* to be machine-
>|generated. HTML has always had the feature of hand codability.

Reminder: XHTML is just XML with an HTML namespace. It inherits a semantic
from HTML, nothing more, and *certainly* not a syntax. There is nothing
about XHTML that makes it a "special case" as you suggest here.

>I thought that XML markup pages would be more intended to be coded by hand,
>although I guess a wysiwyg editor could be 'customized' to read a dtd or
>schema, and write according to that, but I still visualized XML as being
>best hand-coded. dtd's and schemas, I still only WISH I had info on.

A properly designed WYSIWYG layout editor for XML will be extensible as far
as any particular DTD is concerned. For a crude example of what kind of
things should be possible, have a look a the style system in Word. You can
create your own names styles with whatever formatting you like.

>|What you don't realize is that I do ALL of my HTML in a text editor.
>|No, I use a scriptable text editor. Time to write some scripts, eh?
>
>(this is the off-topic part, sorry everyone!)
>I thought that's what you were talking about... on that color-codes the
text
>only on your display, but not the actual text file. Scriptable, too. I like
>that idea. I like it a lot.

Try nedit.

> But I run a win98 pc.

Oops. Nedit is an X beastie.

> Can anyone direct me to a
>good program similar to what Walter has described for the pc?

I wouldn't say it's long on scriptability, but I think EditPlus
(<URI:http://www.editplus.com> is kinda nice. Definitely worth the $20
asking price.

Braden