Re: [PROB]: custom web browser settings and w3.

On Thu, 25 Feb 1999, Mark Andrew Nassy wrote:
> Does anyone on this list have the e-mail address I can submit a problem I
> am having with some of the web pages on <URL:http://www.w3.org/>?
>
> I customized my web browsers colors. the problem i am having is some of
> these settings are conflicting with some of the pages on the w3 web site. i
> have mac ms ie version 4.5 and mac navigator version 4.0.x.

I don't (can't) use MSIE, but Navigator has never gotten customized
colors right.  Web page authors (quite rightly) set colors assuming
that their background will be in use. Navigator, in "ignore author
colors" mode doesn't ignore them all - resulting in text in a color
chosen by the author being displayed on a background chosen by the the
user. The results can be - as you reported - unreadable.

> specifically, i like to use white as the default color of my text, black
> for my background, yellow for my links and red for my visited links.  the
> problem i am having is that the yellow links, as well as the white text, on
> some of the pages are difficult to view against the white background.  i
> was wondering if it would be possible for the webmaster(s) to consider
> adding code to their stylesheet for monitors to set the colors for all the
> text, links, lists, etc.

Stylesheets have nothing to do with this. Browsers that let the user
disable author colors should do this correctly, rather than doing the
half-baked job that Navigator (and, based on your description,
Explorer) does.

Since I've been soliciting recommendations recently - anyone want to
recommend a good GUI Unix browser?

	<mike