Re: Voyager /HTML element & attribute names should be UPPER-CASE.

At 4:44p -0800 02/24/99, ptorr@vantsys.com.au wrote:
>Walter Ian Kaye:
>>who finds upper-case tags make it MUCH easier to maintain hand-coded
>>HTML (because it stands out from the text content).
>
>Well, if you fork out $$$ for a web development tool (I use Microsoft
>Visual InterDev), it highlights the HTML tags for you. But obviously that
>isn't an option for everyone.

Hey, I could get CyberStudio which has eight (8) HTML syntax colors, but
I use a styled text editor because I like even more style control, and
also because 99% of web editors spew out horrid code, and when you try
to tell the developers about the program bugs, they flip you off and
actually attempt to justify their program's behavior. Granted that is
not HTML's fault, but it is current reality. And so I code by hand.

>Personally, I prefer lower case because it is easier to code, especially if
>you have RSI-related problems which are due mainly to the repeated use of
>the shift / control keys (like me!).

Notice I didn't say easier to type, I said easier to *maintain*.
And hey, I can type it <html> and then hit Cmd-] to uppercase it.
I used to prefer lower case tags, but now when I edit an old page,
I select the tags and hit that key combo to make 'em upper case.

>I think you'll find it's six of one and half a dozen of the other, so you'd
>really want to maintain case-*in*sensitivity.

Yes -- and I think it is a step *backwards* in removing the option.

-Walter