Re: accesskey

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999, Eric Eldred wrote, in part:
> > Looking at XHTML1[1] and HTML4.01[2], I note again[3] that <link> has no
> > accesskey attribute, and I ask again: why not? Oughtn't it?
> >
> maybe it should also have a "tabindex" attribute
> as well, then.<snip>
> since the big 2 browsers don't seem to
> implement LINK for nav bars, we would foul
> up the order of accesskey retrieval (the
> LINK nav element would not be accessed, one
> has to assume, if it isn't displayed).

So it would seem from the Spec ("Pressing an access key assigned to an
element gives focus to the element."[3]), but I see no reason that that
should be so. Why shouldn't a <link>, even if not displayed, have an
accesskey?

[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/interact/forms.html#adef-accesskey

Michael Hamm
BA, Math, Sept. '00