Re: Navigation Tag

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, Murray Altheim wrote:

>    IETF Internet Draft "Hypertext links in HTML",
>    Murray Maloney, Liam Quin, June 1996.
>    http://www.groveware.com/~lee/papers/draft-ietf-html-relrev-00.txt

Required reading, IMHO.

> I believe the only browser that implemented a good portion of this was
> NCSA Mosaic (if my memory serves me correctly...).

Must have been the last few versions (2.7?).  Bernd Richter's UdiWWW[*]
would create a toolbar of buttons for each LINK (not always useful, but
certainly better than Netploder's -ah- treatment.)  Lynx has some support
too.

[*] Does anybody know if the source code is available, given that the
project was abandoned a long time ago?

> IMO the only barrier was the browser vendors' willingness to
> implement, not a decent spec.

Indeed.  The spec is a bit of a grab-bag, so it's not like all of it had
to be implemented.

Arjun