Re: accented characters, etc.

At 6:44 pm -0500 2/12/99, Russell Steven Shawn O'Connor wrote:

>To be more precice, you don't need to declare UTF-8 as your character
>encoding (and probably shouldn't), to use these entities.  No matter what
>your character encoding is, &#xxxx; will refer to the Unicode character
>number xxxx.
>
>(Aside: Note the subtle difference between character encoding and
>character set.)

Yes, I was not writing too precisely and was too lazy to look up the routines I actually use.

The precision of your reply could be increased also since &#xxxx; would refer to a decimal and not a hexadecimal number.... :-)

At 3:34 pm -0800 2/12/99, Murray Altheim wrote:
>Without OS and font support for the entire gamut of Unicode glyphs (say,
>all of the Math symbols, Hiragana, Tibetan, Greek and Gurmukhi), one has
>no assurance whatsoever that one's audience can see the intended characters,
>and we're still a long way from having the technology than can do it over
>the Web interoperably. For example, I know of no system available that
>can display the entire set of even the most common languages (say, even
>the Latin languages, Arabic, Chinese and Cyrillic), much less Coptic.

I'm all too aware of that in my frustrated attempts to have my unicode Greek classical texts displayed properly on either WindowsNT or Macintosh.  Never mind about Coptic, even the accented Greek characters are not generally available, but ATSUI is in existence and ready for use by both platforms and the day is not far off, so it would be pointless to introduce a rather complicated fudge in the meantime.