Re: CSS equivalent to the NOBR tag?

>> I'm not sure if this is true or not. I believe the entities defined for
HTML
>> are first defined for SGML. If that's the case, then they may also be
>> available to XML. I don't know enough about XML at this point to say with
>> certainty.

XML entities are defined like SGML entities. specifically   is a space.

XML processors are required to pass on ALL white space to the browser. The
browser is expected to have a default behavior, i.e it should either
collapse the whte space, or preserve it.

Yo can make sure that white space is preserved by using the xml:space
attribute set to a value of "preserve"

<dont-break-this-line xml:space="preserve"></dont-break-this-line>

The other value is default which means the browser does what it wants to do.

Of course this is a moot point because there is not a single XML browser out
there (plenty of processors though!)

>> Remember that style sheets are *just suggestions*.

Not really. A conforming browser should do what it is instructed to do by
the style sheet, in the spirit of "Ours not to reason why, Ours just to do
and die" (The charge of the light brigade)

Frank

Frank Boumphrey

XML and style sheet info at Http://www.hypermedic.com/style/index.htm