Re: Future of HTML

On Thu, 26 Mar 1998, Jukka Korpela wrote:
> On Thu, 26 Mar 1998 david_richmond@nl.compuware.com wrote:
> >      As for the best way of doing this I am not sure, but adding a
> >      <DATATYPE> tag would be one way.
>
> Well, a bit long name. The element for "data type markup" could be
> called just DATA. For example,
>   <DATA TYPE="date">1998-03-26</DATA>

How would this differ from <DIV class="date">?

> Much more importantly, such markup could be essential in
> _translation_. I once translated some texts on HTML 3.2 using
> BabelFish. I noticed that the translation program was too clever:
> it noticed the 3.2 and converted this number according to the
> conventions of the target language, making it 3,2 for languages
> which use decimal comma! Thus, an author might wish to assist
> translation software to make it realize that 3.2 is a code-like
> notation, not a number with a decimal point in it.

Hmm... valid point.  But as you suggest later,

> Perhaps a better solution would be an element (nestable with
> other text level markup of course) for simply indicating that
> its content is to remain invariant in translations. This would
> allow us to use, say, the name of an HTML element or a C language
> keyword in running English text so that a translation program had
> a chance of realizing that those names, although found in English
> glossaries, are not to be translated. Someone might says that the
> technically simplest way to achieve this would be to introduce a specifing
> language name (LANG attribute value), such as "none" (with the
> meaning 'no human language'), e.g.
>    The <LANG="none">TITLE</LANG> element...
> but the problem is that the HTML element name TITLE _is_ an English
> word in the sense that it is _pronounced_ as an English word.

This seems to be an issue relating directly to screen appearance, and
would thus probably be better handled by stylesheets.

---- Jonathan Lang <traveler@io.com> ---- x ------- alias: Dataweaver ---------
  Webpage:  http://www.io.com/~traveler  /@\ The Dogma of Otherness insists
  GURPSnet's Benevolent Tyrant for Life  ~~~ that all voices deserve a hearing,
FAQ: http://www.io.com/~ftp/GURPSnet/www  |  that all points of view have
Archive: http://www.io.com/~ftp/GURPSnet  |  something of value to offer.
submit new files to gurpsnet-files@io.com |  --David Brin, "Otherness"