Re: A new meta tag

> At 04:35 PM 05/06/98 -0400, Adam wrote:
> >I propose some sort of Resoloution Meta tag ie
> ><META RES="640,480">
> >allowing the browser to resize images and tables and rescale the document to
> >allow better visability.

No need to create new tags. Especially with the META element. One could use
something like

  <META NAME="Recommended-Screen" CONTENT="640,480">

which of course is useless if no browsers handle it.

Oh yes: note that name I chose was "Recommended-Screen". Because HTML is
device independent, so this element applies only to screens (and not printers, voice
renderers, text terminals, etc.) and it's only a recommendation... the browser is not
obligated to follow it.

And what should the browser do with this information? Resize the window? Scale the
window? Allow a scrolling window? Screen resolution has no meaning anyway, since
pixels do not correspond with any meaningful sizes (dots-per-inch and default font
sizes vary).

On 8 Jun 98, Liam Quinn wrote:

> [..]
> It would be easier to write good HTML and scalable CSS.  Then pages
> naturally adjust to any browsing environment.

Yes. Combined with scripting as well.

Rob