Re: Questionable implementation of IMG ALT attribute as tooltips

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Colin F Reynolds wrote:

[ ... ]

> I agree 100%.
>
> So, AIUI, you are confirming that the position of the W3C is that the
      ~~~~
Sorry, Colin, you've got me there?

> implementation of the IMG element's ALT attribute as a tooltip is BAD,
> and that a viable alternative exists in the recommendation.

No, it's saying that the TITLE attribute may be used as a tooltip. Be it
good, or be it bad, it seems that if the v4 browsers can't find a TITLE
attribute, they'll use the ALT tag instead.

Apols if I mis-read the quote and got it wrong.

> Hopefully I can now go away and mark up my content in the manner you
> describe above in the knowledge that, although in the short term non-
> compliant browsers will produce a misleading rendering of my documents,
> in the longer term the flawed implementations will be replaced by
> compliant versions.

They are not misleading unless you give irrelevant, wrong or useless
information.