Re: Useful implementation of IMG ALT

On Fri, 23 Jan 1998 14:57:07 -0800 Francis Cottier
<cottier@fox.nstn.ca> wrote:

> AS someone who runs my browser with images off the IMG ALT can tell me
> two things :
>
> 1) The name of the image to see if it could be of interest or is it just
> a decorative ornament ?
>
> 2) Its filesize to see if it's worth waiting for.
>
> If I don't know this, then I usually don't even bother downloading them.

As people become increasingly aware of professional development, they
implement the WIDTH and HEIGHT attributes as well. This often results
in small boxes which have to contain the ALT text. Very often, during
testing, authors have to limit the amount of ALT text they use to fit
meaningly into this box. Otherwise, the description could read:

Picture of Abrah

instead of

Picture of Abraham Lincoln, 48k, al1.gif

Which is a problem unless we don't specify WIDTH and HEIGHT (or use
combinations), which in turn can lead to problems.

Regards,

James Green

Term e-mail: jmkgre@essex.ac.uk   |   Home e-mail: jg@cyberstorm.demon.co.uk
Homepage: http://www.cyberstorm.demon.co.uk