Re: Questionable implementation of IMG ALT attribute as tooltips

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998 10:06:17 -0500 J-F Pitot de La Beaujardiere
<delabeau@iniki.gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote:

> James Green writes:
> > As I said, in the case of ALT, they (the programmers) probably made it a
> > tooltip seeing the advantages while there not being any(?) disadvantages.
>
> I think there are disadvantages in some cases.  For example, I use <INPUT
> TYPE=IMAGE> to allow users to click on a map and zoom in or navigate.  The
> ALT attribute (new for this tag in HTML 4.0 spec[1] and already used by some
> UAs including Lynx) directs the user to the text-only option I have provided
> as an alternative navigation scheme.  Well, MSIE tries to be helpful by
> displaying ALT as a tooltip, which now (1) uselessly informs users who do
> load images that they could use text-only mode and (2) obscures the map on
> which they're carefully trying to click.  (To see what I mean, visit
> http://globe.gsfc.nasa.gov/)

Took a look with NN 3. Didn't find your INPUT tag, though. I'm not sure
how you can 'compensate', either.

Regards,

James Green

Term e-mail: jmkgre@essex.ac.uk   |   Home e-mail: jg@cyberstorm.demon.co.uk