Re: Questionable implementation of IMG ALT attribute as tooltips

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998 06:12:06 -0500 (EST) Colin F Reynolds
<colin@bespin.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <SIMEON.9801191405.A@sf100.essex.ac.uk>, James Green
> <jmkgre@essex.ac.uk> writes
> >Don't go nuts over it. Use HTML as described by the W3C and you will
> >have no problem.
>
> If only that were true... sadly, it depends upon my "using HTML" as
> described by the W3C to author pages for the WWW, (which I do, to the
> best of my ability) _together with_ the browser developers doing the
> same. You may have noticed that whilst I can control the former, the
> latter is somewhat more troublesome ;)

No, forget what the browsers do in such a trivial instance. Unless a
popular browser makes a display 'mistake' which has some marked impact
on your site, don't worry about it.

For example, I had small text with CSS justify properties, and both IE
and NN 4 spaced out the line too far, and the last word on the first
line faled to appear, this I call a marked problem, and I rectified it
by changing the wording. As I said, in the case of ALT, they (the
programmers) probably made it a tooltip seeing the advantages while
there not being any(?) disadvantages.

Regards,

James Green

Term e-mail: jmkgre@essex.ac.uk   |   Home e-mail: jg@cyberstorm.demon.co.uk