Re: Suggestion: ALTHREF attribute

On 15 Jan 98, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> wrote:

> This is another example of why we need ways to say more
> about the resource identified by a URL. Work on RDF[1] may
> provide a solution, but there may be value in easier to
> use "sugared syntax" for common cases. W3C is starting
> to collect suggestions for further work on HTML and plans
> to hold a meeting on this in May. I would like to start
> to catalog suggestions on the W3C HTML pages.
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/Metadata/

I'll take a look at it.

This idea reminds me of an XML document type I've been thiking about
lately, called "Link Farm Description Language". The intention was to be
a common format for bookmarks/hotlists/favorites (or whatever a
particular browser calls them) that could be _shared_ by different
browsers and _posted_ on the web for others to use. Originally as an
extension of Microsoft's CDF, but as something much more useful: The
format would also allow a hierarchical index of a site for a table of
contents or for robots, as well as allow the specification of mirrored
resources (or even locally cached copies). And of course specifying
"subscriptions" to keep certain favorite pages locally cached, if a user
agent supports that.

If anyone is interested in a copy of my "rough sketch" for the idea with
maybe an idea towards putting it along the recommendation/standards
process I'll E-mail it them.

Rob