Re: Absolute BASE

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Alex Fabrikant wrote:

> >Any paticular reason for requiring the HREF attribute in the BASE element
> >to be an absolute URI?  Why not resolve a relative URI according to the
> >document's URI?
> That would be contrary to the purpose of BASE though, wouldn't it? BASE
> DEFINES what the relative URIs are based on, and make the href for
> *base* relative as well would pretty much defeat the purpose.

However, what he's probably trying to do is use a BASE clause to make all
his links not dependant on the depth of the current document in the tree -
ie so that when he says "images/foo.png" it resolves to
"../images/foo.png" (or whatever).  Then this means you can move files up
and down the tree without changing much, and a whole branch elsewhere
without altering all the "base" tags in each file.

One similar feature I would like to see added would be the addition of a
"ROOT" tag - being a string that prepends any URI starting with '/'.  This
would aid mirroring etc.