Re: Writing CGI scripts

At 10:39p -0500 02/22/98, David Cary wrote:
>OK, the "&" makes sense now -- I can think of it as the browser
>interprets all these in a "preprocessing" first pass as it is recieving the
>html file.
>
>I've never heard of this ";" thing; I should probably update the CGI
>scripts I've written -- none of them accept this.

I updated my own last year, after a similar thread on this very list...

>Is there some CGI reference page that would tell me about this ";" and

Well, it's actually suggested in RFC1866 (HTML 2.0). :-)

Or are you looking for sample code? What my own CGI library does is
similar to how you might determine a text file's end-of-lines -- it
counts each type and compares. I count the &'s and ;'s in this case.
(First I split on the ='s, then count 'em in the second text item.)

>other things I've probably missed when I hacked together my first
>quick-and-dirty scripts ?
>
>I have a few references to CGI scripting at
>  http://www.rdrop.com/~cary/html/html.html

  Walter Ian Kaye <boo@SLAC.Stanford.EDU>        Menlo Park, CA
  Perl on Unix, AppleScript on MacOS, at the nation's first WWW server.
  More good stuff at my <http://www.natural-innovations.com/> site.