Re: Patent pending: Network-based classified information systems.

Tony Sanders <sanders@earth.com> wrote:

> > Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@piclab.com> wrote:
> > You would be able to use a search engine to search, for example, for the
> > web pages:
> > 1. having the classification "motor vehicle repairers",
> > 2. having a service location within a specific geographic area,
> > 3. nominating a particular brand name (eg of motor vehicle),
> > 4. having particular keywords etc.
>
> First, there is prior art in your patent area -- we did this a long
> time ago when the web first started getting popular.  But content
> providers haven't been willing to provide such information for
> whatever reasons.
>
> And in any case, creating a new <CCG> tag is unnecessary, you can
> do everything you suggest (and more) using combinations of <META>,
> <LINK>, and <A> link relationships.
>
>     <RANT>
>     Why won't IE and Netscape implement link relationships!
>     There are *SO* many amazing things you could do with
>     them if they would just get off their ass.
>
>     Ah well, when the netscape sources come out you know what
>     part I will be hacking on :)
>     </RANT>
>
> If you want to compete with the Yellow Pages then you will have hire...
>     > An army of people are required just to gather the data for basic
>     > one line entries in the yellow pages. Another army is employed
>     > selling, producing and publishing display advertisements. A battalion
>     > is employed in delivering and recycling the books.
>
> > am trying to provide improvements in web searching technology which
> > businesses will find valuable enough to license.
> So I would have license the use of the <CCG> tag from you.  Good luck,
> NOBODY will ever go for that, that is a ludicrous concept on the face of
> it -- I will just use the <META> tag, thank you very much.

Hi Tony,

If there is prior art relevant to my ideas would you be kind enough to
disclose specific documents? This could save sending people on a wild
goose chase. In my patent application:
   "http://www.ozemail.com.au/~dudmills/CCGpatent.html"
I am proposing putting classification, contact and geographic codes in
the BODY of web pages where the relationship with content is much
clearer and where is actually does some thing you can see.

Have you ever analysed the reasons why the prior art proposals were not
adopted widely? Perhaps that will reveal what can be done to help web
developers improve web searchability.

As you say, everything I suggest could be done by putting stuff in the
HEAD but as you also say it is not being done. I think it is too
difficult and arcane for lots of people although I appreciate you may
well feel at home with it. Perhaps the IE and Netscape teams think the
same way.

The neccessary combatants are already working daily in the field: we
have armies of web publishers, service providers, tool writers, and many
others. Lets find ways to help them.

Dudley Mills,
30 Hutchison Crescent, Kambah, ACT 2902, Australia.
phone/fax: +61-2-6296-2639
email: dudmills@ozemail.com.au
web: http://www.ozemail.com.au/~dudmills/