Re: Odd case sensitive rules regarding <A name="abc">

I get the impression that the spec writers want new documents to be
*written* such that they can be read on the widest variety of browsers.
Since (apparently) some browsers can't tell the difference between
uppercase and lowercase, the only way the document you are currently
writing will be usable on those old, dusty browsers is if you make sure
that "anchor names that differ only in case" do not appear in your document.

I get the impression that the spec writers what new browsers to be able to
handle even old, dusty, legacy documents.
Since (apparently) some authors wrote documents with anchors that can only
be distinguished by case, the only way the spiffy new whiz-bang browser
currently under development can correctly render those dusty documents is
to use exact (case-sensitive) matches.

If one is writing new HTML documents, *both* of your examples are illegal.

If you are writing new web browsers, *both* of your examples should be
acceptable to the new browser; it should Do the Right Thing, jumping to
paragraph 1 and 2 appropriately, with your 1st example, and doing nothing
in the second example.

>From: Ian Hickson <exxieh@bath.ac.uk>
>>From the HTML4 spec: [1]
>So the following code is illegal:
>
>----------------
><P ID=ONE>...
><P ID=one>...
  <P> <A HREF="#ONE">Link to first paragraph</A>
  <P> <A HREF="#one">Link to second paragraph</A>

>Yet the following code should do nothing:
><P ID=one>...
  <P> <A HREF="#ONE">Link to the paragraph</A>

+ David Cary "mailto:d.cary@ieee.org" "http://www.rdrop.com/~cary/"