Re: Translation into french

>At 03:41 AM 2/17/98 -0500, you wrote:
>>I'd like to translate the HTML 4.0 Specifications into french to put it
>>in my site. As people who are working on it seem not to work 'too hard',
>>I want to do it on my own. Does anyone know if I can ?
>
>Emmanuel:
>
>You might want to consider the Babelfish utility that's currently being
>provided by the Alta Vista search engine
>(http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/).  It can automatically translate
>text and Web pages into several languages, including French.  Not being
>fluent in any language other than English, however, I can't attest to the
>precise quality of the results, so anything you do will have to be
>proofread carefully.

I'm french-born and I personnaly teste Alta-Vista translation.  Most of the
time, it translated good english to medium french.  But sometimes, the
translation were totally illogic and barely understandable even for a french
reader.  Translating with Babelfish is okay for people who wants to
understand the content of a page in another language, but not to traduce a
public text.

Francois-Denis Gonthier
Neumann / Maus
claudeg@icrdl.net