Re: who can they be fooling?

Hey Guys,
         I hear you as a guy that continues to do all coding by hand
I find it confusing and hard to keep the cross platform browser concept
alive. Remember when the WEB was grey? Well i do and sort of miss certain
aspects of that era as back then what you said was more important than
what tricks you could do. Now the predominent browsers are attempting to
pull by bells and whistles alone to the extent where yeah you have to
do if - then - else right over the edge to get something done that
should have been possible with a simple block statement. There goes
the neighborhood:'( Wouldn't be nice if the standards bodies could
enforce their jurisdictions per se. Then using the IEEE, IETF, W3C
or some such group we could at least have a uncorrupted branch to
tell it as it should be so that all could play nice sort of speak.
But again how realistic would this really be?

						Regards,
							dreamwvr@dreamwvr.com

At 10:29 AM 4/29/98 -0400, Daniel Brooks wrote:
>On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Tom Scanlan wrote:
>
>:)I understand, my fellow.  I too am worried about compliance problems.
>:)I've kept clear of CSS and DHTML because I don't know who can see it and
>:)making three versions (MS, NS, TXT) is a large hassle.  When will things
>:)settle down long enough for a "standard" to come out?  I think our best
>:)bet is to keep with the "old school" version of everything (look at
>:)http://tom.squarefish.com/hubcom.html for an example : ), until everyone
>:)upgrades to NS 4.0 and MSIE 4.0... how long will it take for them to do
>:)this, and should I build complex sites using the cutting edge today?
>
>I think they are fooling themselves. The idea is that if browser A has
>features browser B doesn't have, people will buy more copes of A in order
>to get those features. To some extent this works, mostly on those who
>don't even know that there is a standard for HTML that isn't being met.
>Meanwhile these companies lose sale in other products from those of us who
>know how these things work (or are supposed to work).
>
>TTYL,
>Daniel Brooks

>        __  Daniel Brooks - d-brooks@usa.net, dbrooks@geocities.com
>       / /\  http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Vista/2083/
>      / /  \
>     / / /\ \  HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This Product Contains Minute
>    / / /\ \ \  Electrically Charged Particles Moving at Velocities in
>   / / /  \ \ \  Excess of Five Hundred Million Miles Per Hour.
> /__________\ \ \  "We're very sorry, Mister Schrodinger,
> \_____________\/   but the cat refuses to go in the box."

DREAMWVR.COM - TOTAL WEB INTEGRATION, DEVELOPMENT, DESIGN SERVICES.
Featuring Website Development and Web Strategies of a TOP Developer
<http://www.dreamwvr.com/dreambiz.htm> <mailto:dreamwvr@dreamwvr.com>
"As Unique as the Company You Keep."        "===0 PGP Key Available