Re: Absolute BASE

On 22 Apr 1998, Peter Flynn wrote:

>    Any paticular reason for requiring the HREF attribute in the BASE element
>    to be an absolute URI?  Why not resolve a relative URI according to the
>    document's URI?
>
> Because that's the action to be taken when BASE is absent. BASE is for
> forcing a document's links to resolve to a place where resolution is
> know to work (like the doc's home site).

I mean for example supose a document resides at
http://www.example.com/doc.html It has a base value of "/some/dir/"  And a
link to "somefile.html"  So the link would take them to
http://www.example.com/some/dir/somefile.html.

This seems very natural to me.

    <URL:http://www.undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca/%7Eroconnor/>
"And truth irreversibly destroys the meaning of its own message"
-- Anindita Dutta, "The Paradox of Truth, the Truth of Entropy"