Re: HTML4.0 draft: comments re: inclusio

In article <199709120654.IAA26565@se2000.sebank.se>,
hass.chapman@sebank.se (Chapman, Hass) wrote:
> Anyone who expects the web to become standardised anytime soon is just
> kidding themselves.

Sounds a bit defeatist to me. Does this mean we'll just have to let
NS and MS introduce even more tags and attributes, and try to clean up
the mess in a year or two?

> Market forces will force those who create
> web-browsers to add more and more features.

That would be a good thing, if the browser authors could implement
some *useful* features for a change, and implement things like CSS
correctly(!).

> Added to this will be the
> increasing number of plug-ins available for those browsers offering
> enhancements not possible with pure HTML. That's not including the
> increasing number of scripting features!
> This is GOOD. It offers more functionality to the user/publisher.

Why is it good? I see no reason why the *capability* to use feature X
means that a "publisher" *has* to use it.

In any case, what does this have to do with HTML? Installing and
configuring plugins is really platform-specific, and as far as HTML
is concerned, a sequence of embedded OBJECT elements can be used to
supply the content in various formats.

> To say that web authors should limit themselves to only those features
> available in the HTML standards, and supported by minority browsers, when
> over 90% of web users have either IE3.x or Netscape3.x or higher, and an
> increasing number have both, is just ludicrous!

Who has said this? I don't recall anything about not being allowed to
embed or enclose a Shockwave movie or a Java applet in an HTML document.
The discussion is more about how to provide such enhancements in a
well-degrading way, so that people who turn off the plugin can still
read the document.

--
E-mail: galactus@htmlhelp.com .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665
Maintainer of WDG's HTML reference: <http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/>