Source code [was: HTML should not be a file format, but an output format]

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Note also, that there is a working DSSSL implementations that support
> most of the Style Language, despite the fact that DSSSL was standardized
> after CSS (as I recall), and DSSSL is much more advanced and thus hard
> to implement than CSS. Only partial implementations of CSS exist as
> well, and the DSSSL implementation is available *with source code* for
> implementation in all number of products, and other DSSSL
> implementations for Java and Scheme are under development.
>
> So what's the problem again?

I don't see any problem... the DSSSL implementation work
is very exciting, though I've only seen batch processing
applications.

But lest folks should get the wrong impression, CSS implementations
are available in source code as well:

Amaya, a direct-manipulation (aka WYSIWYG, but that term
isn't terribly precise) editor/browser:
	http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Amaya/

Arena, the original CSS implementation:
	http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Arena/

--
Dan Connolly, W3C Architecture Domain Lead
<connolly@w3.org> +1 512 310-2971