Re: HTML should not be a file format, but an output format

On Wed, 19 Mar 1997, Stephanos Piperoglou wrote:

> I remember reading an interview of TimBL which I remembered because I
> happened to visit CERN in Geneva recently. He said, as I vaguely recall,
> that he never expected people to write HTML.

You may be interested in Tim Berners-Lee's talk on "The World Wide Web -
past, present and future" given at the BCS in London in July 1996 which is
available at http://www.bcs.org.uk/news/timbl.htm

In his talk he said:

"It was one of the greatest surprises to me that the community of
people putting information on line was prepared to go and write those
angle brackets. It still blows my mind away, I'm not prepared to do it, it
drives me crazy."

Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly, UK Web Focus
UKOLN, University of Bath, BATH, England, BA2 7AY
Email:  B.Kelly@ukoln.ac.uk     URL:    http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/
Phone:  01225 323943            FAX:   01225 826838