Re: SELECT NEST proposal

On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, MegaZone wrote:

> I have an idea I'd like to propose.
>
> You know how you can nest lists with most windowing systems?  Like in NS
> bookmarks when you can have an arrow on the right which has a sublist; so
> that you can have a hierarchical organization for pick lists.
>
> I'd like to see that for SELECT lists in HTML and I think it can be done
> so that it will not break current browsers.

Hmm. You know what I'd rather have? Dynamic lists. I know JavaScript can do
actions upon popup selection, but I'd rather do server-side scripting.
Let's say you have categories and topics, such that:

  category1 := topic1, topic2, topic3

and

  category2 := topic4, topic5, topic6

then you have HTML as follows:

<FORM ID="dynamic1">
<SELECT NAME="cat" ACTION="cat2top.cgi" TARGET="#dynamic1:topic">
  <OPTION>category1
  <OPTION>category2
</SELECT>

<SELECT NAME="topic">
  <OPTION>topic1
  <OPTION>topic2
  <OPTION>topic3
</SELECT>

When "category2" is selected from the "cat" list, the browser will send
"cat2top.cgi?cat=category2" to the server. That CGI will return an HTML
snippet to replace the "topic" list with topics 4-6.

Well, that's my "Invention Exchange" for this week. <G>

> What do you think sirs?

Oh, just push the type="submit" button, Frank.  ?%-o   };->