Re: LANG + Metadata + unknown attributes

On Mar 7,  7:50pm, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Mar 1997, Misha Wolf wrote:
> >[...]
> > How do we reconcile (i) being, in some minor sense, on the leading edge and
> > (ii) wanting to encourage our users to generate "legal" HTML and to use
validators
> > to make sure it is legal?
>
> By making available a DTD which includes the additional attributes?
> (And then looby Microsoft etc. to use that...)

Close.

Create a DTD or DTD fragment, document the attributes and present
a well argued case for needing these extra attibutes on META. Then
send to W3C and be prepared for some changes in the precise syntax
to fit with other requirements.

If you have a good case and the extensions get taken up into the next
specification, you will have a legal HTML document containing what
you want and W3C members will be implementing it in a consistent manner.

PS - although unknown *tags* are ignored (preserving the content)
HTML 2.0 does not say anything about unknown *attributes*.