Re: Another attribute for A tag

At 14:36 5/3/97 +0100, Drazen Kacar wrote:
>I'm working on a HTML gateway to mailing list archive and I'd like
>to put a mailto: URL on articles in case the person reading it wants
>to answer to the list. It isn't a problem to put that tag on HTML
>page, but all references to the previous articles will be lost and
>putting that answer in the appropriate thread would be impossible.
>
>No, I don't think that Subject matching can be called threading.
>
>So I'd like to add REFERENCES attribute to A tag which should contain
>message IDs for mailto: URLs.
>It should be trivial to implement that in browsers.

Is there anything which you would need to do which is not available within
the HREF value, under the recently proposed extension of the mailto? If I
understand correctly what you desire, I'd think that they are addressed.
With the added benefit of a clean interface between the HTML user agent
(Web browser) and the email user agent applications.

/Harold
===============================
 directories.

       Title     : The mailto URL scheme
       Author(s) : P. Hoffman, L. Masinter
       Filename  : draft-hoffman-mailto-url-00.txt
       Pages     : 4
       Date      : 01/08/1997

This document defines the format of Uniform Resource Locators (URL) for
designating electronic mail addresses. It is one of a suite of documents
which replace RFC 1738, "Uniform Resource Locators", and RFC 1808,
"Relative Uniform Resource Locators". The syntax of "mailto" URLs from RFC
1738 is extended to allow creation of more RFC 822 messages by allowing the
URL to express additional header and body fields.

Harold A. Driscoll                       mailto:harold@driscoll.chi.il.us
#include <std/disclaimer>      http://homepage.interaccess.com/~driscoll/