Re: Question about multiple input-"submit" or input="image" buttons

galactus@htmlhelp.com (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet) wrote:
>In article <199701301812.KAA12519@ntex.com>,
>"Philip A. Prindeville" <philipp@ntex.com> wrote:
>> My question then is, how can we either select which button we want
>> ENTER to select, or how do we turn off defaulting all together so that
>> an explicit click is required?
>
>You cannot. It is a browser feature that forms are submitted if
>they have exactly one input textbox and the user presses 'Enter'
>in that textbox. There is no way to control or influence it.

	No, that's a bug in the browser (which doesn't help the user,
but...).  It should be submitting only if the form had one INPUT
with TEXT="text" and no others besides TYPE="hidden".  TYPE="image"
should disable the submit_on_ENTER behavior.

	That behavior was part the original form implementation in
XMosaic v2.0 by YouKnowWho before the CapitalVenture.  It was used
as a form based kludge for ISINDEX handling.  If a document had an
ISINDEX element, it was handled internally as:

	<FORM><INPUT TYPE="text" NAME="isindex" METHOD="get"></FORM>

and submitted on ENTER in that text window, with the "isindex="
stripped to create an ISINDEX ?searchpart for the value.  If you
had actual FORM markup in the document, and per chance used
NAME="isindex" yourself, it would still strip the "isindex=",
yielding invalid content in the submission.

				Fote