Re: Question on BASE

Ooops - I actually meant "no reason NOT to ...". Apologies for not being
awake enough to catch that.

On Thu, 30 Jan 1997, Joe English wrote:

> galactus@htmlhelp.com (Arnoud "Galactus" Engelfriet) wrote:
>
> > James Aylett <sleeper@cryogen.com> wrote:
> > > That's no reason to include the true BASE HREF (which is generally a good
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > > thing anyway) along with the TARGET attribute. However since no one seems
> >
> > Yes there is. In the current HTML 3.2 DTD, HREF is marked as
> > a required attribute for BASE.
> >
> > Besides, BASE TARGET is defined (by Netscape at least) to set
> > the default target for links in the document, not for the document
> > itself.
>
> That being the case, it would make sense to add a TARGET
> attribute and change HREF from #REQUIRED to #IMPLIED in
> HTML Pro, or whatever DTD you're using...

This usage obviously makes more sense; the HREF attribute sets the base
URL used to calculate HREF targets in anchors. Hence the TARGET attribute
can only really be used to set the default frame of such a target. In
fact, I can't think of a way which fits in particularly well with HTML as
it stands of saying "Once you've got here and started rendering, go back
and break out of all those framesets and start rendering me again in the
root". Can anyone correct me on this?

James

  James Aylett - Crystal Services (crystal.clare.cam.ac.uk): BBS, Ftp and Web
   Clare College, Cambridge, CB2 1TL -- sleeper@cryogen.com -- (0976) 212023