Re: New tags. (fwd) -Reply (fwd)

Jim Wise writes:

 > > <FIG> evolved into object. CSS1 was pioneered by W3C in Arena. <BANNER>
 >
 > And <OBJECT> and CSS1 are part of Cougar, which is now in the standardization
 > process.  That's exactly the point...  It was felt that they were not ready
 > for primetime in the form they took in HTML 3.0, so they were returned for
 > further development.  <FIG>, as you point out, grew into <OBJECT>, and CSS1
 > was released as a seperate standard which will now be integrated into a
 > future version of HTML (Cougar, if it makes it, or else whatever is selected
 > in its place).

Actually, CSS is independent of HTML and will remain so. At some
point, the CSS specification included the hooks (e.g. the STYLE
element and the STYLE attribute) needed to reference style sheets from
an HTML document. These hooks have been taken out of the CSS
specification and are scheduled, as you say, to go into the next
version of HTML.

Otherwise, I think your describe the past and present of HTML very
accurately.

Regards,

-h&kon

H   å   k   o   n      W   i   u   m       L   i   e
howcome@w3.org   W o r l d   Wide  W e b  Consortium
inria §°þ#¡ª FRANCE http://www.w3.org/people/howcome