Re: Enhancements to Forms - another loss??

On Tue, 11 Feb 1997, Simon Cox wrote:

> 1.  cascading/nested/pull-right menus - to handle those
> long lists of choices in a more structured way;
>
> 2.  sliders and dials - to allow selection of a numeric value
> from a range;
>
> 3.  multi-click imagemaps - to allow selection of a line or
> area as well as points;
>
> [4.  some client-side validity testing?  maybe less immediate,
> but ...]

At least when I'm half-asleep, those look like good ideas.

If you can give me a good, solid proposal for how those things should
work, and can convince me that they're useful, there is a very good
chance that they will be supported in GNU E-scape.

Keep in mind that at this point, E-scape is not at all working.
The network code works, but the GUI code doesn't.
I have no plans to ever port E-scape to anything other than UN*X
(though if others decide to port it to other platforms, I'll probably
be supportive of those efforts).

I doubt Netscape or Microsoft will support those features.  So
if you want new features for forms that are really platform-independent,
I doubt you will succeed.

(I guess it could probably be said that HTML 3.2 is about as much
as you're going to convince all browser makers to implement.)

> I'm mindful of Dan's admonition to back up this kind of
> proposal with formal Internat Drafts or DTD's, and I might
> be interested in cutting my teeth on such a project, but
> first I'd like to gauge interest.

I haven't figured out the exact syntax of DTDs myself yet.
I tend to learn best from examples, not formal descriptions.

But you're right, some people will want DTDs.

nemo
                                                 http://www.cyclic.com/~nemo
<nemo@koa.iolani.honolulu.hi.us>                    <devnull@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
"...For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners." -- Matthew 9:13