Re: Basic ? HTML ?

At 6:56p -0700 09/24/96, MegaZone wrote:
>Once upon a time Lanny A Fowler shaped the electrons to say...
>>This is going to sound Crazy to all you great programers but a am a
>>juinior in high school and taking BASIC programing, and i am wondering if
>>i can write web pages in BASIC language ??  If not Can you think of an
>
>Web pages are written in HTML - that is the nature of the web.
>
>You could write *CGI* applications that generate HTML in BASIC - in fact
>many people are using VISUAL BASIC to do this on MS systems.

I'm working on some Perl CGIs to auto-generate some AppleScript syntax
pages, and am about to write a FoxPro program to generate a monthly
calendar of events as an HTML table (actually it'll generate two; one
public one private, based on a logical field in the events database). I
love this stuff... :-)

>I started out with Atari BASIC, went to True Basic, then C and C++ and
>then Perl.  But the fundamental logical building blocks are the same at
>the core.

Yep, I started with MS Excel, then went on to FoxPro, WordBasic,
AppleScript, various telecom program scripting languages, and Perl. Once I
clear some HD space for JDK, it'll be on to Java...

>>I think that windows and dos are MUCH SUpior !
>>You know what i mean ??
>
>Not at all - DOS is a joke, Windows is only slightly less of a joke.
>WinNT is a half-hearted attempt to be serious that I'll grudgingly admit
>is ok for some things.
>
>Wait until you are out in the world and get to work on powerful systems like
>UNIX.

Hehe... no matter how much MacOS vs Windows arguments continue, we all
agree that Unix is cool! <G>