Re: Simple(?) question on obscure comments detail

On Fri, 20 Sep 1996, Murray Altheim wrote:

> The parser is scanning forward for the next instance of COM, not for the
> declaration; it is simply the concatenation of a COM and MDC (">"); that's
> why parsers that look for "-->" are making an error. It is perfectly
> SGML-legal to write a comment declaration such as:
>
>      <!-- hello --
>      >

Let me see if I (who knows nothing of SGML) can get this straight:

<! > is an HTML element that stands for an SGML declaration

-- some text -- is an SGML comment

Hence any whitespace is allowed between <! and the comment, as is between
the comment and >, according to what I know of HTML.

Is this correct?

--
 If my opinions were my employers', they'd be pretty wierd opinions.
         Stephanos Piperoglou <*> http://users.hol.gr/~spip/

                                            ...oof porothika! (tm)