Re: Extended URL for frames

In article <199609131121.EAA29460@switzerland.it.earthlink.net>,
"David Perrell" <davidp@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I've noticed a hurdle for this proposal: although fragments are
> described vaguely as 'not considered part of the URL,' '#' is declared
> an 'unsafe' character in RFC1808, and as such is proscribed for use
> within fragments. Too bad - substitution of another character would
> make for a less elegant construct.

It's RFC 1738 I think (1808 is just relative URLs), but the reason
that # is specified as unsafe is because it's used to delimit URLs
and fragments. Having a filename with a # in it would lead to
confusion if it wasn't escaped.

However, if the frame sequence comes *after* a fragment, it shouldn't
be a problem.

Galactus
PS: Speaking of URL lengths, you still have the problem of the 1024
character limit for the HREF and SRC attributes.
- --
E-mail: galactus@htmlhelp.com .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665
Maintainer of WDG's HTML reference: <http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/>

-----END PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----