Re: Inline text/html

In article <Pine.LNX.3.91.960908201955.12881A-100000@fizzgig.glasswings.com.au>,
Stuart Young <nakor@glasswings.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 7 Sep 1996, Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:
> >   1. How do you restrict the contents of inlined HTML to something
> >   that does not invalidate the document it is inlined into?
>
> Well, you could either allow only 'specific' tags in an inlined HMTL
> file, which gets messy to regulate, or, treat it as a whole new document,
> nested as it were in the the current document.

A bit hard to formalize, IMO. Since HTML 3.2 allows you to set document
colors, how can you prevent people from setting those in an "inline"
document?

> >   2. How do you prevent things like opening tags in the main file
> >   and the closing tags in the included file?
>
> Using the nested file scenario, this could never happen.

Agreed, but then you're doing something different. This would be
like frames, with a separate document displayed inline like an image.

What I am talking to is inlining a la server-side includes. Then you insert
pieces of text & HTML markup *in* the actual document you're sending.
This would be very useful (no need to put a load on the server doing
the processing, only having to cache that standard header & footer
once...) but causes the problems I mention.

> Note: there will have to be some way of differentiating between HTML and
> TEXT at the tag level though, as display of inline text with < and >'s in
> it could become a REAL problem for a browser that isn't aware that it's
> different.

Having inline text a la GIFs would make this easy.. just draw a box
of the appropriate size and render the text in that. The content-type
should identify it as plain text, so the < and > should not get
interpreted.

Galactus

- --
E-mail: galactus@htmlhelp.com .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665