Re: Usage of Fig

In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.960907101037.4478A-100000@support3.office.hol.gr>,
Stephanos Piperoglou <spip@hol.gr> wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Sep 1996, Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:
>
> > I would have to re-read the working draft on OBJECT[1], but I don't
> > see why "text/html" would not be a possible media type for inlined
> > data.
>
> If all you need to do is place some text or HTML in a little box, then just
> floating it around with CSS will do the job. Using an external source is
> another thing entirely, of course.

The idea was that you can do what server-side includes allow you to
do: include arbitrary texts into an HTML document. This would allow
for caching on the client (no need to re-generate the document with
the toolbar, and no need to send that 4K for the toolbar again), and
the server doesn't have to do as much work to calculate the length
of the data to send.

There are some drawbacks, though.

  1. How do you restrict the contents of inlined HTML to something
  that does not invalidate the document it is inlined into?
  2. How do you prevent things like opening tags in the main file
  and the closing tags in the included file?
  3. What media type should the inlined HTML get? It can't be text/html
  since it (in most cases) cannot be a valid HTML document by itself
  if it wants to be inlined.

And those are just the ones that I can come up with. :-)

Galactus

- --
E-mail: galactus@htmlhelp.com .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665
Maintainer of WDG's HTML reference: <http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/>