Re: PROPOSAL FOR A MULTI-COLUMN SELECT ELEMENT WITHIN A FORM FIELD

In article <322C6415.6C2F@advtech.uswest.com>,
"Greg A. Smith" <gasmith@advtech.uswest.com> wrote:
> It is never too late to change if one is willing to change, if the deadline
> has passed for 3.2, then I would be happy to see this adopted by 3.3 or
> whatever follows 3.2.  The important thing is to get adopted ASAP.

To get it adopted *fast*, you'd have to ask the browser authors.

> Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet wrote:
> > So what exactly is it supposed to do? My browser doesn't display
> > SELECT as a pop-down menu, even when the SIZE is set to one.
>
> SELECT may be displayed as a pop-down (on some browsers, anyway),

Well, but as I don't see SELECT as such, I don't really understand
how it should be rendered from your description "works like SELECT."

> > This sounds a lot more like CAPTION. TITLE is already taken in the
> > head of the document.
>
> Just as the browser can distinguish an LI in UL from an LI  an OL it
> should be able to distinguish a TITLE in an MSELECT from a TITLE in a
> HEAD, but the name TITLE is not that important.

The point is, LI is always the same element, with the same attributes
and permitted contents. In your case, you add attributes to _the_
TITLE element and also put it in the body. TITLE is a *head-only*
element, so you'd severely confuse browsers.

Since CAPTION is used for tables (and used to be for figures), it
seems like the logical alternative.

> > Why? Can't I just leave the last few MDs off if they're empty, like
> > you can do with table rows?
>
> Good point.  My concern was with the ease of parsing this element.  If
> the rules are too complicated, the parser may become confused as to how
> many columns to display and what fields go into what columns.  I was
> following the KISS philosophy here.

I don't think this is a problem. Parsing an MSELECT seems similar to
parsing a TABLE, and that is already widely available.

Galactus

- --
E-mail: galactus@htmlhelp.com .................... PGP Key: 512/63B0E665
Maintainer of WDG's HTML reference: <http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/>